Monday, February 10, 2014

Another Bitter Day

Well, here we go again. Another day out of school.  This weather is crazy. We have neighboring districts with air and windchill temperature changes of more than 15 degrees, Bushnell was -12/-33 while Astoria was a warmer -8/-14.   As far as our cold districts (-12/-33WC) are concerned,  I am glad that I have people around me that understand that just "because we are tired of missing school it doesn't make it right," to have school for the sake of having school. Another area superintendent said that this morning as we talked about being the first 2 or 3 to cancel. I could not have said it better myself. I have always tried to balance safety and potential for unnecessary trouble with the importance of education and going to school. Decisions like this will always have detractors, no matter which way one decides - but in the end, I don't want my kids or your kids stuck on a broken down bus or waiting outside for a bus in -30 degree weather. Apparently, I am also losing my mind through all of this as I said the wrong date on the phone call this morning and had to call everyone again......like you haven't heard my voice enough in the past 40 days :) Stay warm and we will try again tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment